Google

About Me

Image
'I am different , not less .' Temple Grandin A little introduction and a hello from me. What to say?  My name is Sarah and I am 37 years old.  I live in the North West of England and wanted a place to share my story. Having been diagnosed with autism as an adult, I wanted to share my experiences, trials and tribulations and of course the down right funny! So, you are thinking “If I keep reading, what’s in it for me?” " What journey will you take me on?" I want you to feel you are not alone,  I want to invite you all to the virtual party.   

Introduction to Introception

Interoception is a sense that helps you understand and feel what is going on in your body. 

Right now, close your eyes, what do you feel inside your body? 

I find this one difficult. At the moment I can feel myself breathing. I suppose when I say 'feel it' I mean I can physically feel that my chest is moving up and down. Nothing else. 

Someone else may notice that their heart is beating fast/slow, their toes clenching or that their breathing has deepened. 

At the moment, all I can focus on is the sound of my washing machine and the dogs playing with a ball! 

These are some of the types of body signals we feel with interoception.
These types of messages get sent to our brains and we try to make sense of them. When your interoception system is working correctly you may feel a certain way at certain times. 

For example, take performing on stage. You may feel shaky, your heart may be racing, your jaw muscles may be tensed your breathing may quicken. You may be unable to stand still or sweat more. 

With these feelings working in conjunction, you recognise that you are nervous.

When interoception is working properly, our brain receives signals that something is wrong, and then our body takes corrective action. 

If we feel thirsty – we get a drink. If we feel cold – we get a jumper. If we feel full - we stop eating. 

Personally drinking is a big one for me. I always used to get asked if I wanted a drink, especially when visiting friends houses or at school. I never did. I can still wake at 6am and go to 6pm without a drink. I just never really feel thirsty. 




Studies have shown that individuals with autism can have significantly lower awareness of their interoceptive signals. 

This is something that I never heard of before I was diagnosed with Autism. My hope in this post is to raise awareness of interoception and hopefully help anyone who sits and wonders why they feel so different to other people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - What is it?

About Me

The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul