Google

About Me

Image
'I am different , not less .' Temple Grandin A little introduction and a hello from me. What to say?  My name is Sarah and I am 37 years old.  I live in the North West of England and wanted a place to share my story. Having been diagnosed with autism as an adult, I wanted to share my experiences, trials and tribulations and of course the down right funny! So, you are thinking “If I keep reading, what’s in it for me?” " What journey will you take me on?" I want you to feel you are not alone,  I want to invite you all to the virtual party.   

Conversation Starters

Most people enjoy going to a party or event.  Time to get dressed up, explore new places and meet new people!

Ever been to a party and seen the person sat in the corner avoiding everyone or sat playing with the dog?  

That's me.




I never know what to say to people.  Reciprocal conversations are not really something I can instigate or maintain. 

The patter usually goes -

"Hi! How are you?" my response - "OK thanks"

It does not occur to me to ask them how they are feeling or what has been happening in their lives.  Then comes the awkward silence  


From my experience this makes other people uncomfortable when around me.  It can make me appear as cold, uncaring and unapproachable. 

This got me thinking.  Can I change this?  Can I learn the art of conversation?

I have scoured the internet and come up with the following top tips -

* Find common ground - animals, films, hobbies, sports
* Ask a few questions related to easy topics such as work or school
* Ask open ended questions
* Pay a compliment such as "I love your shoes, where did you get them from?"
* Listen to responses - this could create more conversation opportunities
* Remember not to dominate the conversation
* Try to be aware of body distance and/or body language

I also managed to pick up some conversation starter cards!  Obviously, I am not going to whip these out at a party but if I can try to memorise some I am halfway there.

There are lots of tips, tricks and guidance on the internet to help.  Why not try practicing with people you feel comfortable with first?

At the end of the day if it's not for you, you can always use the fool proof exit strategies - 

" Just going to nip to the bathroom" or "I'm just going to grab some food" 

Works every time!




  
 
  







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - What is it?

About Me

The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul