Google

About Me

Image
'I am different , not less .' Temple Grandin A little introduction and a hello from me. What to say?  My name is Sarah and I am 37 years old.  I live in the North West of England and wanted a place to share my story. Having been diagnosed with autism as an adult, I wanted to share my experiences, trials and tribulations and of course the down right funny! So, you are thinking “If I keep reading, what’s in it for me?” " What journey will you take me on?" I want you to feel you are not alone,  I want to invite you all to the virtual party.   

Masking - What Is It?

For those that don’t know, autistic people, especially girls can mask.  

Masking is where we try to hide being autistic so others will accept us.  To do this we act in ways that are not natural to us, to make others think we are ‘normal’ and ‘socially acceptable’.  We take what we see in others and copy.  Almost like being a chameleon.  Masking can require a lot of concentration and takes lots of time and effort.  


  Photo by 21andsensory


I remember making a conscious effort to change and adapt my natural personality to conform to outside pressures.  I thought of it as ‘putting on a show’. Even from an early age this was something I was aware of and it became the norm for me.  

If I was to be described as a young child, my immediate family would say I was shy, quiet, observant and introspective. Anyone outside of my immediate family would describe me as fun, easy going and jovial.  Maintaining this outward appearance was hard and to this day still is.  

Masking as a child I used to be copy others behaviour.  Looking when to laugh, knowing how to greet others, learning how to be the life and soul of a party.

As an adult I don't tend to copy others anymore, but still mask in other ways such as - 

* Trying to stay still when anxious

* Forcing myself to use appropriate facial expressions and smile.  People always ask me what's wrong or tell me to 'cheer up'.  I must have a natural resting bitch face!  

* pretend to be interested in what people have to say and refrain from complaining when people don't get straight to the point

* Practicing how to act and stand in social situations.  For example - when going to a meeting or event, I have conversations and responses lined up in my head that would be deemed appropriate



As an adult my example of masking at it best was when I was a receptionist.  

I was a great receptionist!  Everyone commented how friendly, approachable and professional I was.  I was great at answering questions, constantly on the telephone, showing visitors and professionals around the workplace. 

I relate it to switching on a light switch.  Flick on the switch and you get brightness, warmth, a dazzling light.  Switch it off and you get darkness, disconnection and nothingness.  

I was aware of having to make my mind and physical features switch on when carrying out my role.  If you were to ever meet me as a receptionist, you would have been impressed.  However, if you took two seconds to glance back as you walked away, you would see that the light had been switched off.  No welcoming smile, no friendly, efficient body language, no emotions.  Just deep breathing to prepare myself for the next flick of the switch.  

No other organ consumes as much energy as the brain.  It is a strain having to stay a hundred percent focused and alert.  Making the slightest mistake saps more vital energy. 


Masking, we all do it.  Some just wear our masks better than others.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - What is it?

About Me

The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul