Google

About Me

Image
'I am different , not less .' Temple Grandin A little introduction and a hello from me. What to say?  My name is Sarah and I am 37 years old.  I live in the North West of England and wanted a place to share my story. Having been diagnosed with autism as an adult, I wanted to share my experiences, trials and tribulations and of course the down right funny! So, you are thinking “If I keep reading, what’s in it for me?” " What journey will you take me on?" I want you to feel you are not alone,  I want to invite you all to the virtual party.   

Baby Steps - A New World


Where to begin?  Unlike most stories this will start at an end.  

For you as a reader the logical pattern would be beginning, middle and end, however this story is illogical. 

The way I see the world is different. I have come to realise that in life there is no right and wrong, it’s about following your path and finding your own way.

The words that started me on this particular path were delivered in a clinical setting by a professional I have never met before.

I cannot tell you what she looked like, the only image I can recall from this important meeting was that she had an eye-catching pair of high heels on.  No, I do not suffer with oniomania, shoes are the first part of a person I look at. I promise this will become clearer!

Back to the professional with great shoes……...I was faced with two realities.  In my mind both were unfavourable. Both outcomes made me think of the expression ‘Hobsons Choice’.  

Thomas Hobson owned a stable of horses in Cambridge. Hobson often rented horses to the students of Cambridge university.  But he did not really trust them to take good care of them. So, he had a rule that prevented the students from riding his finest horses.  They could take the horse that was nearest to the stable door or not at all. Thus ‘Hobsons Choice; is really no choice.

Whilst Dr nice shoes was explaining the results, there was only one sentence that I was waiting to hear.

The next three words overrode the entire preceding conversation and, as a shepherd herds his sheep, I was directed down my current path.

“You have autism”

There it is in black and white, definitive.

I have been given my label and sent off into the world.  Armed with my leaflets and my newfound status, that for me is the real beginning.            


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - What is it?

About Me

The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul