Google

About Me

Image
'I am different , not less .' Temple Grandin A little introduction and a hello from me. What to say?  My name is Sarah and I am 37 years old.  I live in the North West of England and wanted a place to share my story. Having been diagnosed with autism as an adult, I wanted to share my experiences, trials and tribulations and of course the down right funny! So, you are thinking “If I keep reading, what’s in it for me?” " What journey will you take me on?" I want you to feel you are not alone,  I want to invite you all to the virtual party.   

The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul

'The Eyes Are The Windows To The Soul' 





Lack of eye contact in individuals with Autism is very common.  Personally, it is one of the most obvious things you will notice about me.

Having to make eye contact provokes a physical reaction.  I literally feel 'Squirmish' uncomfortable.  I experience -

* Heart rate increase
* Restlessness
* Sweating
* Inability to concentrate

If I have to look at someone all my other sense go into shutdown.  I feel my other senses reduce to be able to focus all my energies on looking someone in the eyes.

When looking at someone I am not actually listening to what is being said.  I wouldn't be able to recall the conversation or follow any directions you give me.





Many times this has made me come across as disinterested, rude or snobbish.  

Next time you meet someone who won't look at you in the eyes, I hope that you recall this post - you may just make someone's day a little easier.

Top Tips - 

* Concentrate your focus on someone's ear or a spot just above their head



     

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Autism - What is it?

About Me